Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ignorance Is Bliss

Most days on the farm, I find myself saying, almost on repeat..."Nope, never done that...Oh I had no idea...What? Really!!...Oh - that must be why..." etc. I must say that it's very liberating to feel unapologetic about not having any answers!

I take orders with a smile. (At least most of the time -- I was less than super-cheerful as I planted my 527th onion in the field today.) I ask dumb questions. (Dumb Question of the Day: "So what would happen if I planted a full-grown onion? Answer: "Ummm - it would probably just rot and then go to seed...")

This must be what was meant by "ignorance is bliss". No one expects me to have the answers...And, at least for now, I'm reveling in the freedom of learning just to learn.

1 comment:

  1. It's just staggering how much knowledge is required for just a little vegetable garden, not to mention a whole farm (with vegetables, fruit, honey, dairy, eggs, pigs, chickens and cows)! I bet it takes many years before all the dumb questions are answered... so much to learn!

    ReplyDelete